NK - Saint Chad

Kostia konstiantin at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 4 12:04:55 PST 2000

Yes, Virginia there really is a St. Chad and no, he
isn't the patron saint of elections but his story is
an interesting one:

(quoted from)
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintc24.htm

Brother of Saint Cedd and Saint Cynibild. Missionary
monk to Ireland with Saint Egbert. Priest in 653.
Studied Latin and astronomy. Abbott @ Lastingham
monastery, England.

Not long after Chad became abbot, Saint Wilfrid was
chosen Bishop of Lindisfarne, a see which was soon
moved to York. Wilfrid went to Gaul for consecration,
and stayed so long that King Oswiu declared the see
vacant and procured the election of Chad as bishop of
York. Chad felt unworthy, but threw himself into the
new vocation, travelling his diocese on foot,
evangelizing where he could. When Wilfrid returned in
666, Saint Theodore, Archbishop of Canterbury, decided
that Chad's episcopal consecration was invalid, and
that Chad must give up the diocese to Wilfrid. Chad
replied that he had never thought himself worthy of
the position, that he took it through obedience, and
he would surrender it through obedience. Theodore,
astonished at this humility, consecrated Chad himself,
and appointed him bishop of the Mercians in Lichfield
in 669.

NOTE: I have received email from many visitors asking
if Chad is the patron of elections, disputes, disputed
elections, losers, or some other element related to
the disputed American presidential election. I have
absolutely no evidence that there are patrons of
elections, and certainly none that Chad has anything
to do with it. It was not until 31 October 2000 that
politicians and elected officials received a patron,
and that's Saint Thomas More. Times were much rougher
in 7th century England, but I have no record of Chad
hanging, dangling, dimpled or pregnant. As you see
above, he was involved in a disputed election, but no
patronage tradition resulted. Also note that when a
dispute arose, Chad stepped aside for the greater
good. Wish some of our current politicians had such
grace, but no one ever accused them of being saints.
-Terry