NK - Re: ANST - water bearers

Rebecca M. Heydon rebecca-heydon at utulsa.edu
Mon Feb 21 12:55:25 PST 2000

For you waterbearing types, I thought this might be of interest.  Marrock
signed cards for those who did waterbearing at NRT and has extra cards so
talk with him if you have questions or need a card!

Rowan

>Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:26:20 -0600
>From: Michael Tucker <michaelt at neosoft.com>
>Subject: Re: ANST - water bearers
>Sender: owner-ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>
>Hi, Gwynneth:
>
>I'm sorry your daughter (and you) were frustrated this weekend. It's
>disappointing to get fired up to do something, and then be told that you
can't.

>It boils down to safety. Under the new Marshalate Handbook, *nobody* - not
>waterbearers, heralds, chirurgeons, fighters, or marshals - is allowed on an
>"active" field without at least a non-contact authorization card. An "active"
>field is one with marshals present, at which fighting could (presumably)
start
>at any minute even if they aren't fighting right now. If there are no
marshals
>on the field, fighting cannot take place, and presumably anyone could "visit"
>the field.
>
>You *can* still waterbear quite effectively at most tournaments, even
without an
>authorization card. Just circle the list field without entering the field,
going
>around to folks in their pavillions or as they are leaving the field. This
is,
>of course, harder to accomplish at a melee where the "field" is much
larger and
>more poorly defined. In that case, you just have to wait with the other
>non-combatants at the edge of the field, and try to catch the fighters as
they
>enter/leave the field. You could also, presumably, talk to the marshal in
charge
>about declaring breaks specifically for non-combatants to enter the field.
>
>I hope this helps!
>
>If you have more questions, please check out the online Marshal's Handbook at
><http://www.ansteorra.org/publications/forms/participants.pdf> (Adobe PDF) or
><http://lonestar.texas.net/~catsden/PartHbk/> (HTML).
>
>Yours,
>Michael Silverhands
>
>Mike Young wrote:
>>
>> I guess I live under a rock but I've been playing SCA 15 years and I didn't
>> realize that no one under 16 can be authorized to be a water bearer.  I
>> didn't even realize you had to be authorized.  Since water bearers can't go
>> on a field without a hold, why do we have these rules exactly?  I mean, I'm
>> sure there's a reason and I'm just missing it but my 10 year old wanted to
>> be a water bearer at Melees this weekend and I felt inadequate when she
>> asked me why she couldn't.  I told her we had to follow the rules but I
>> couldn't answer her when she asked me why it WAS a rule.
>> thanks,
>> gwyneth

end
******
Rebecca M. Heydon
University of Tulsa
Mabee Legal Information Center
ph:  918-631-3557
fax:  918-631-2151
rebecca-heydon at utulsa.edu
"If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague."
		--Anonymous
******