NK - Axes, and Vikings, and Mayhem...Oh my! (Was:Axes)

Niewoehner, Hugh hughn at SSD.FSI.com
Mon Jun 26 09:37:29 PDT 2000

Winfrith,
Here's my reply....

Damon

*****
The Viking Axe
Tune: The Marvelous Toy (music available in person)
by Jondo Oakenshield

taken from "A Songbook of Some Middle Kingdom Favorites"

When I was just a wee Viking lad, full of health and joy,
My father homeward came from raid, and he gave to me a toy.
A wonder to behold it was, made of steel so bright:
The moment I laid eyes on it, it became my heart's delight.

CHORUS:
   It went swish when it moved, and SPLAT when it stopped,
   It never did stand still.  A Viking axe is what it was,
   And it was made to KILL!

The first time that I picked it up, I had a big suprise,
'Cause I swung it--then it swung me!  I couldn't believe my eyes.
It first swung once, then swung twice, then whirled over my head,
And when I went on my first raid, this is what it did:

CHORUS

It first slashed left, and then slashed right, then flew out of my hand,
And when I looked where it had gone, not an enemy did stand.
I found that it had slashed right through a hundred warrior's heads,
And when I picked it up again, the Chivalry was dead.

CHORUS

The raids have gone by too quickly it seems, and I have my own little
brat,
And yesterday I gave to him my marvelous Viking axe.
His eyes nearly popped right out of his head, and he gave a sneer of
glee,
Neither one of us knows just why it is, but he loves it just like me!

CHORUS