NK - Heraldry, naming stuff

Chris Backus cbackus at peakonline.com
Fri Jun 30 14:43:24 PDT 2000

Yes, de + el = del.  So if Malta is not called el Malta (which I don't
*think* it would be, because words ending in "a" are normally preceded by
"la", if it would ever be called "the Malta" in the first place), then del
Malta doesn't seem right.  I bet "de Malta" would be close, but you never
know, because modern Spanish may not match period Spanish and constructions
like this may not be used.

Maybe Gabriela can answer?

Hawkins