NK - Sad Tidings

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 7 21:22:42 PST 2000

> Vanessa Goins wrote:
> >
> > I would be too.  I'm not working. I have a telecourse right now.  I've
always heard this was
> > difficult.  Does anyone know anything about this procedure?
> >
> My understanding, which is limited, is that the donor, under anesthesia
> (maybe spinal block, maybe full knockout) has several cc's of marrow
> taken by a large needle from the pelvic region, which has the largest
> concentrations of blood marrow for harvesting.  I have read that the
> risks and discomfort factor for the donor is very little, not like
> donating a kidney or anything.  There is supposed to be some bruising
> and soreness which should disappear within a week.
> If any know more, please tell.
>
> Catrin

Just want to clarify a bit.  Testing for bone marrow compatibility and
getting on the Donor Registry is done though a simple blood test.  A few
minutes of your time and a tube or two of the red stuff.

If it is determined that you are a match for someone, then what Catrin
describes is the basic proceedure.  Fairly simple, though uncomfortable, for
the donor.  It may even be done on an outpatient basis, I'm not sure.

Gio, who watched too much "e.r."