NK - FWD: The Daily Joke from iVillage.com

David Langston wynfrith at email.com
Mon May 1 19:20:30 PDT 2000

I thought everyone would enjoy this.  Keep in mind copying others does not always result in success.
Wynfrith

** MONKS IN A FUNK
Submitted by iVillager Sarah L

In an ancient monastery, a new monk arrived to
dedicate his life to God and to join the others
copying ancient records. The first thing he noticed
was that they were copying by hand books that had
already been copied by hand.

He had to speak up. "Forgive me, Father Justinian,
but copying other copies by hand allows many chances
for error. How do we know we aren't copying someone
else's mistakes? Are they ever checked against the
originals?"

Father Justinian was startled. No one had ever
suggested that before. "Well, that is a good point,
my son. I will take one of these latest books down to
the vault and study it against its original
document."

He went deep into the vault where no one else was
allowed to enter and started to study. The day
passed, and it was getting late in the evening.

The monks were getting worried about Father
Justinian. Finally one monk started making his way
through the old vault, and as he began to think he
might get lost, he heard sobbing. "Father Justinian,"
he called.

The sobbing grew louder as he came closer. He finally
found the old priest sitting at a table with the new
copy and the original ancient book in front of him.
It was obvious that Father Justinian had been crying
for a long time.

"Oh, my Lord," sobbed Father Justinian, "the word is
'celebrate'!"