NK - it is a quiet day in the neighborhood

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Fri May 5 09:40:18 PDT 2000

At 10:23 AM 5/5/00 -0500, Maidenhair wrote:
>well....alright, it was my understanding that there were two, but i am an
>open minded person who doesnt mind having a few better written facts thrown
>on my face.  its better than egg.  :)

Check the sources - I might be wrong.  I do think there may be at least one
group that later referred to itself as the Golden Dawn in some form or
another.

>I am just learning about these various orders and such.  my father was
>heathen along the asatru/norse lines he refered to it as the old religion.
>supposedly he learned from his dad etc etc.  he never had a book or anything
>like that and he didnt make things happen so to speak either.  my mother was
>southern baptist, from the mountains of shallow valley, tn.  mountain magic
>w/ herbal healing and a christian base.  superstitious lot they are.
>I tried church, read the bible and well.....lets just say it aint my cup of
>tea.

Doesn't matter to me, one way or another, but thanks for sharing :)

>as for you being a good catholic, hats off to you.  lots of ceremonial magic
>in that.  IMO

I'm afraid you misread me.  *Diarmaid* is a good Catholic, and knows
nothing of
medieval pagan and quasi-pagan forms - he probably knows as much about
magic as
the next guy (you cheat the wrong people, you get the evil eye; the
Paternoster
worn as an amulet can do all sorts of good for you things; that sort of
thing).  Diarmaid is the historical persona I assume under certain
cercumstances (frequently involving weird clothes).  I haven't said a word
about what I am, and I'm really
not sure that -this- is the place to discuss that (although it's not a
secret).

I can see why I've never heard of the Rauðskinni ("red leather", or "red
covered").  Thank you for the information - I'll keep an eye out for any
information that
anyone's ever uncovered a copy - but it may well be that there was only the
Bishop's copy, and that was reputed to have been buried with him - and
considering the condition of the only person alleged to have gone after it
(Lotpur), *I*'m not inclined to dig the old guy up to ask for an Interlibrary
Loan :) .  (This, of course, presupposes that the item actually ever really
existed in the first place)

Marc/Diarmaid