NK - funny

Langston, David R david.langston at wilcom.com
Tue Oct 24 03:06:58 PDT 2000

A new monk arrived at the monastery. He was assigned to help the other monks
in copying the old texts by hand. He noticed, however, that they were
copying copies, not the original books. The new monk went to the head monk
to ask him about this. He pointed out that if there were an error in the
first copy, that error would be continued in all of the other copies.
The head monk said, "We have been copying from the copies for centuries, but
you make a good point, my son." The head monk went down into the cellar with
one of the copies to check it against the original.
Hours later, nobody had seen him, so one of the monks went downstairs to
look for him. He heard a sobbing coming from the back of the cellar and
found the old monk leaning over one of the original books, crying. He asked
what was wrong.
"The word is 'celebrate,' not 'celibate'!" sobed the head monk