NK - rattan the basics

Timothy Adams toadams at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 4 07:50:19 PDT 2000

>Most 9 foot sticks of rattan will run you in the 20 buck range.
> >Handguards, or basket(hilts) will cost somewhere between the $10 and $25
>range depending on quality, size and materials used.
those numbers seem about right, but I have yet to find a basket on
the net for less than 25 to 35.   and I have only found one site
that offers Rattan (mandrake).

>I would recommend that you pick up at least one 9 foot stick of >rattan and
>a basket hilt at the next event and start experimenting >with sword
>lengths, etc.
I have a basket, just need to get a good piece of rattan.
are you going to Namron this weekend???
wantta buy me a piece of rattan?
I of course will compensate you very well for it.
(cash for the purchase, and a bottle of my better wine)

>These days we have the delicious 7 1/2 foot unpadded glaives,
I think evil is the proper word,  I am thinking those are going to hurt a
bit.

>so now I look for a nice "mid" weight stick.  Rattan that is really skinny
>(riding the 1 1/4 inch rule) and dry can be a really fast weapon,
can you dry rattan??  to lighten it  or is this a how it is
grown issue?    I can flatten the sides of a wider piece to
lighten it if need be.  (have access to a very good sander)

>but playing the glaive game (for me anyway), involves something I can
>generate some oomph with. However, the really heavy rattan, >like the plus
>2 inch stuff, is just too heavy for me, cause I need something that's going
>to be used for a few hours at wars and melees so I don't want to lug some
>log around with me.
you play glaive so you want a light stick to keep it fast, this makes sense
to me.   What about sticks for swords?  same thing, narrow and light means
fast correct?   or do you need some weight to get the
hit to count?

>So I try and find something that is fairly straight, and has a nice "mid"
>weight and comfortable thickness to it.
sounds like I need someone with some experiance to go shopping with
me for rattan.   Or buy my first piece.

>My best advice I can honestly give you, is try out everyone's weapons at
>fighter practice.  That's the easiest, and cheapest way to determine what
>you like before you go out and buy rattan, etc.
yeah that is the current plan, also for shield rigging as well.

>If you are at the same event with any of the Northkeep fighters, most of us
>spend an inordinate amount brain capacity on checking out rattan stocks
>that merchants have there, and most of us are more than happy to give our
>opinions on which sticks of rattan
>for sale are ok, and which ones suck.
that is will help alot, I just need some guidance, as to what kind of stick
gives you what kind of weapon.

>hope this helps,
>Alton
This is a great help