NK - greeves

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner the_burg at busprod.com
Fri Sep 29 19:56:03 PDT 2000

Frederick Addington wrote:

> arent spangleheims those hemets that have a point at
> the top of them no way those are like not kool.

Sigh....
Spangenhelms are typically norse, saxon, or Norman.  They can be pointed
or rounded across the top.  Thorgrim's is a rounded spangen.  Angus
wears a classic spangen, and I wear a Norman "Bullet".  And, sorry, but
they are _very_ cool.  That little bit of slope is great for turning
what would be marginal shots into completely glancing blows.

> my
> helm is going to look like wiggens or viggens or
> whatever. not pointy like edmunds.

Viggens helm is a bascinet or barbutte.   Depending on pattern, it could
be extremely early period (Greek) or fairly late period
(Italian/French).   If you are going to get a Barbutte.  The best way to
pad it for your head is to put webbing straps across the inside of the
helm.  Alot like army helmets.  Just ask Gest.  He's got one of the
finest I've ever seen. heh heh heh.  Or heard for that matter.

	Damon