NK - Old Tulsa World article

Nathan W. Jones njones at ix.netcom.com
Sun Sep 10 15:36:45 PDT 2000

> Giovanni, the link didn't work.  Can you clue me as to the search term
> you used?
> -Belle

I searched the archives for "SCA".  But here is the text of the article for
those who can't use the link.

Group recreates lifestyle of the middle ages
By Nora K. Froeschle World Staff Writer
11/4/98
By the light of the moon, in the Kingdom of Ansteorra at the Barony of
Northkeep, men in heavy battle armor fight with swords and shields while
ladies in waiting stand nearby watching their children frolic in the mist.
Though it sounds like a description of days of old, it happened recently on
the grounds of the University of Tulsa campus. The exhibition jousting was
one of many demonstrations put on every year by the Tulsa chapter of the
Society for Creative Anachronism.
Members of the group choose a 'persona' who lived in the middle ages
(600-1600 A.D.). They then fashion an appropriate costume, and research
enough about their alias' time and place to play them convincingly with
others who are doing the same.
"This is make-believe," Michael Heydon (a.k.a. Merrick Veltarhar, warrior
extraordinaire) said. Members "re-create" someone based on their research
of things like weapon style, craft or trade and heraldry (lineage, coat of
arms), he said.
One requirement is that the chosen character be completely fictional. No
one gets to play the part of King Arthur, Lancelot, Guenivere etc...
The Kingdom of Ansteorra is what most people consider to be Oklahoma and
Texas. The Barony of Northkeep is Tulsa, so named as the members are the
keepers of the northland.
Originated in 1966 in Berkeley, California, SCA's membership has grown to
over 20,000 people from such far away places as Finland, Scotland, Ireland,
Australia and even Okinawa, according to the organization's literature.
Science fiction and fantasy buffs, as well as people who value chivalry and
battle re-enactments join up and are sometimes surprised to find out how
much they enjoy the experience.
"I've gotten more out of it than I would have ever imagined," said Nathan
Jones, whose character is Giovanni, a nobleman from Florence, Italy at the
beginning of the fifteenth century. "We go on these camping trips, set up
our own little village, sing songs and sit around the campfire telling
stories of days gone by. It practically makes you weepy."
The only rain on the SCA's medieval parade has been a small, but vocal
criticism of the fact that some members choose per sense of accomplishment
making costumes. When you show up in a new costume people really take
note," Jones, who is a customer service representative for West
Tele-Services, said. He is elegantly attired in a caped outfit of silver,
black and white that could easily slip into a scene from the opera Figaro
set in Italy.
But as much as the members of SCA rave about the medieval period, they
admit they're glad they don't really live there.
Anyone who has ever had a broken bone or even minor infection left
untreated would not have survived the middle ages, Heydon said.
"I've had two knee replacements," he said. But adds, "What better place
could there be though, than one where if you were (angry) at someone, you
could just drag them off and (fight) them?"
The fighting attracts a lot of members, but the period cooking, weaving,
metal and leather work - that is where some people truly find a niche,
according to Bill Higdon, also known as Thorgrim Bjornson.
Prospective members can attend the monthly SCA meeting held from 8-9 p.m.
on the last Monday of every month at the Martin East Regional Library, 2601
S. Garnett Road, or call 827-4274 for more information.