NK - Newspaper Article!!!

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Mon Sep 11 12:02:26 PDT 2000

At 08:24 AM 9/11/00 -0400, you wrote:
>  Greetings and Good Morning!
>      The article is HERE!  It appears in this mornings paper on page A18 of
>the "FOCUS" section. Rather nice piece.  Enjoy!
>                                                       Elisabeth

online it is
http://search.tulsaworld.com/webclass1.asp?WCI=DisplayStory&ID=000911_Ne_a18itsjo

Did they have any other photos with it? The one online is an old one, I am
guessing it was too dark when he took pictures.

Susan

Here is the text of it
It's joust us to knight, m'dear
By GINNIE GRAHAM World Staff Writer
9/11/00

Members of the Society of Creative Anachronisms act out a medieval melee at
Woodward Park in this file photo taken in 1996.
Tulsa World file photo

----------

Medieval traditions to be re-created.

Ainan Magnusson proudly walked down the aisle in the finest clothes an
eighth century Icelandic Norseman could own.

Magnusson negotiated the terms for his new bride, fought for the right to
marry her and had to prove he could support a family.

Only, his real name is Rick Drake. And the Viking rituals were done in fun.

Drake is part of the Society of Creative Anachronism, which recreates the
Middle Ages by taking on the personalities of people during that era and
re-enacting their activities.

When Drake married, he and his wife designed their nuptials to reflect
their passion for the society.

"It's the friendship. And I have a love of history," Drake said.

The Barony of Northkeep, which represents the Tulsa area, is hosting a
battle at 10 a.m. Saturday Sept. 16at Woodward Park, 21st Street and Peoria
Avenue.

The tournament will determine the barony's "leader into war." Members will
also be demonstrating medieval skills such as needle work and leather craft.

"The fighting is the most visible thing we do, but there is so much more,"
Drake said. "I embroider and do my own brewing. My wife makes her own
cordials and is into weaving and spinning."

While most women opt to participate in the fencing games, some enjoy
stepping into the arena with men in armor.

Soft-spoken Marilyn Hammon, known as Aisling Donnelly, has been acquiring
the handmade leather and metal shields required for armored fighting.

She has been watching from the sideline as she mastered skills such as
jewelry making and sewing. By March, Hammon said she will be ready to fight
with armor.

"Because I can be retiring, it would be a way for me to become aggressive
and sure of myself," Hammon said. "It's a way to help myself."

The society is a worldwide organization divided into groups based on
geography and membership.

Members create a person who could have existed between 650 A.D. and 1650
A.D. It cannot be an actual person.

They wear garb appropriate to the person's time and have a host of skills
to pursue.

Members can find an event or gathering almost every weekend. Some are
public festivals, others are just for members.

For 22 years, Mark Whitney, who goes by Beorhtlic Folcwinesone, has been an
active member and is considered an expert metal-working craftsman.

"I cannot imagine not being involved on some level," Whitney said.
"Something about it appeals to my inner nature. I'm more comfortable here
than sitting at home in front of my TV.

"This is someplace I can go and, within reason, expect people who come up
and talk to me to fulfill the commitments they make."

Camille Higdon, also the Baroness Sigen Nordvirk, spends most of her free
time at events.

"It's fun to get away from the grind of the office," said Higdon. These
people are like family to us. We strive to recreate the best values of that
time. We do not recreate the plague or beheadings. We only focus on the
good things."

Her husband Bill, or Baron Thorgrim Nordvirk, said the society emphasizes a
reverent code of conduct.

"Personal honor, respect and chivalry are highly stressed among the people
who play," he said. "It is a way to immerse yourself in a place where those
are still held in high regard."

While history is a major part of the society, some members were drawn into
the organization for other interests.

Nathan Jones, better known as "Gio," is making a career as a singer after
he discovered his talent through the society.

Jones, who is Giovanni diCellini in his alternative persona, became
involved with the society nine years ago because he enjoyed Celtic folk music.

"I thought if there was any place this music is still alive, that's where
it would be," Jones said. "The society is what you make of it. It is
different for everybody. For me, it's a social group."

After listening to the folk songs for years, Jones decided to sing for his
society friends.

"I never would've discovered my own voice without this," Jones said. "The
urge to entertain others brought it out."

Ginnie Graham, World staff writer, can be reached at 581-8376 or via e-mail
at <mailto:ginnie.graham at tulsaworld.com>ginnie.graham at tulsaworld.com.