[Northkeep] SCA Years or AS ???

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 3 13:17:43 PST 2001

>From: "Darin Herndon" <darin_herndon at bswintl.com>
>So, we are currently in December, AS 36 (I'll skip the roman >numberals for
>now) and next month is January, AS 36.  But next May will be May, AS 37.
>If you count back, May of AS 1 was in 1965 (if I did my math right).

You did, but made a totally understandable application error.

As you know, although others may not, the "AS" calender dates from a party
given 1 May 1966 in Berkeley, California (my copy of the guest list is
around here someplace...)

Therefore AS1  = 1966-67
          AS2  = 1967-68
          AS3  = 1968-69
          AS4  = 1969-70
          AS5  = 1970-71
          AS10 = 1975-76
          AS15 = 1980-81
          AS20 = 1985-86
          AS25 = 1990-91
          AS30 = 1995-96
          AS35 = 2000-01
          AS36 = 2001-02

You know, people in the Middle Ages did this all the time (years frequently
being figured from 25 March, which meant that the year changed not only in
the "wrong place" for us, but also the missle of the month.  Regnal years
changed on the Anniversary of the King's ascension to the throne.

And as Estrill pointed out, the AS useage may not be consistant between
Chroniclers - although I'm sure our Current chronicler would never do
that...)

M/D