[Northkeep] Belly Dancers

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Mon Dec 3 22:18:22 PST 2001

>The purpose of the dance was erotica, not just simple lust or sex.  The
>harem women used the dance as a way of enticing the sultan (or pharoah, or
>whomever) into her bed.  The best dancers were usually the favorite of the
>harem, both as a cultural and entertaining companion.  Those women had to
>know more than  the dance, they had to be able to, I don't know how to put
>it, support the men in any way they could, primarily, by being able to
>talk to him about anything and entertain him and his men.
>
>Today, men see belly dancers as objects of desire, but they miss the skill
>and grace in the dance itself.
>
>I'll save the rest of the lecture for another time.

I am awaiting it, sounds wonderful.

As for the erotica of it, the last event where Dom held the competiton, the
lady who won it (her name escapes me) was fully garbed with her eyes
showing and WOW was she good.  If all is covered and just the eyes show,
they can be Far, Far, Far more erotic than beaches of naked women. It gives
you appreciation why, when following the letter of the law, the women are
not out without male escort to guard them and their eyes are veiled or
caged also.  It is nice to think that in our country with the freedom that
we have, that women are safe to walk around without being shouded and not
have to worry constantly of unwelcome advances; it is an ideal that we
cling to but often fall short of like most;  but being able to strive
toward the ideas is such a wonderful freedom.

Susan the idealist

         Who are we calling terrorists here? Outsiders can destroy
airplanes and
         buildings, but it is only we, the people, who have the power to
demolish
         our own ideals.

         Barbara Kingslover