[Northkeep] Obscure Name question

Susan catmafia at swbell.net
Sat Dec 22 07:38:09 PST 2001

Jim and I were discussing where the nickname Jack for the name John came
from and I hadn't a clue and it lead to a discussion of name
equivalents.  As it developed, I came up with a new question that someone
or many here can give me answers to.

Does anyone have a good name generator (or the ability and interest to
build one), where you type in a given name and it will generate a list of
the equivalent of that name in differnt languages?  It would be best if you
could check off a list of languages/cultures (and specificly to the SCA the
time frame) to limit your search.  Also a component that will list the
meanings of the names and the ability to seach for names with certain
meanings would be powerful.

Hope there is something like this out there, it would be great for persona
name searches

Susan the Curious
Susan-the-Curious at swbell.net