NK - Looking For Fur for Garb or Projects

KTMC- AM 14 & ROCK 105.1 FM ktmc at icok.net
Fri Jan 26 14:33:40 PST 2001

Valstarr here, with No commercial pitch.
   A small part of my work deals with keeping up with outdoor-related
news for our area. Here is som info about an upcoming fur auction that I
received as part of an informational release I receive on wildlife items
in Oklahoma each week. Somebody may find it helpful.
   Have a great weekend!
   Valstarr
Predator Callers Association, begins at 9 a.m., with doors opening at 8
a.m.
The building will also be open from 2-6 p.m. Friday, Feb. 2, for sellers
to bring their furs and register.

        "Fur markets change daily, but the trend is for higher demand,
and better prices, especially on the top-end furs," said Bill Jackson,
auction coordinator. "The colder weather has also helped, making furs
primer and more marketable. Stablilization of financial markets in
China,
Russia, Korea and Japan have also helped create higher prices."

        Results from a fur auction held in Kansas in mid-January provide
a reasonable baseline for what hunters and trappers might expect from
the Chandler sale. Average and top prices for pelts sold in Kansas were
as follows:

        Bobcat: $25 average and $43 high;
        Raccoon: $9 average and $21 high;
        Skunks: $8 average;
        Beaver: $10 average and $20 high;
        and Coyote: No furs offered.
        Jackson said furs may be sold stretched or green, but that all
sellers must have a valid hunting or trapping license from Oklahoma or
their
respective state. All bobcats must have an export tag affixed to the
pelt before it can be sold. Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation

personnel will be on hand to tag bobcats. Bobcats from other states must
have export tags on the pelts before entering Oklahoma.

        For reservations or more information on the auction, contact
Jackson at 918/336-8154.