[Northkeep] Rumors and other crap (was Picnic on the 21st)

Kevinkeary at aol.com Kevinkeary at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 15:44:20 PDT 2001

  First, Diarmaid, you're right, the wording 'Persons Unnamed' was
potentially dangerous, and could have caused rumors to grow.  I am pleased to
hear 'officially' it comes from HRH's Larissa and Duncan, before this all I
had was rumor.
   Frankly, I was not in a position to be sure that, while that was their
initial intent, they were not now willing to let Sigen and Thorgrim's appeal
and the Seneschal's investigation proceed at a normal pace.  That would mean
someone ELSE was pushing it.  I have now been disabused of that notion.
  And you and Catrin are quite correct, I was not at the Moot, and I am
looking forward eagerly to reading your lovely and honorable lady's account
of it when I can.  I fully intended to be there, I was rehearsing a poem I've
written recently I intended to perform, but my schedule did not permit it.
The odds of me attending the picnic on the 21st are less than 50%, again, not
by my choice.  But when you are forced to work 500 miles from home, SCAdian
pleasures often take a back seat to mundane considerations.  I was lucky to
make Castellan.
  I was also corrected quickly, and now multiply, on my interpretation of
Anawyn's statements.  I realize the airfare was something Robert graciously
offered and Larissa graciously declined, and that her intention was ALWAYS to
make this a meeting with the entire northern region.  I'd have to agree that
Moore is a reasonable site for such a meeting, certainly better than Tulsa or
Lawton would be.
  I appreciate Larissa's offer to speak directly, and I'll take her up on it
if I can, but it won't be today.  I have family things to do, followed by a
7+ hour trip, and a full workday tomorrow.
  Knowing yours and Alton's minds, I find those rumors amusing, too, and
potentially harmful.  I've repeatedly called Northkeepers on spreading such
about fellow Northkeepers, and I'll continue to do so.  My take is that we've
been handed a bucket and a cesspit to deal with, and don't need to be kicking
people for stepping up to the bucket brigade.
  My initial question was, Am I alone in thinking this is going too fast for
Northkeep's good (which no one has answered), and I then frankly speculated
on one possible interpretation, one appearance that seemed to me to be being
created.  I'd prefer that be taken as a warning about what people Would or
Could say.  And, for those of you that jumped to Diarmaid's example of an
interpretation, it never occurred to me that Barn MIGHT be involved.  HE'D
have nothing to gain by keeping the controversy going.
  And yes, Catrin, I am aware that outside of the Dark Horde there is little
'democracy' in the Society.  Outside of the Dark Horde I do not serve the
cause of Democracy, because that is not an Ideal of the Society.  Whether it
is an Ideal of Northkeep we can discuss at a later time.  I serve Honor and
Justice always, in all settings.
  And my letter has already been emailed to the Society Seneschal.  It will
be followed by a paper copy as soon as I get back to my mundane worksite.  It
may well carry an addendum.  I AM participating as best I can, thank you.
  Oh, and you might reread Larissa's note to the Northern region and
Northkeep.  She says that she considers the 'Principality Issue' a matter for
the future.  She has no intention of discussing it at the picnic.  She also
says she will speak with anyone on any matter of concern they have, so I have
absolutely NO doubt she WILL end up discussing it, but she considers it a
moot point for now, and those seeking audiences with her will have to bring
it up, and convince her differently if you disagree.  Frankly, I do not,
although I think things were different a short time ago.  And I'm not happy
it was so easy to derail by stirring up intra-region feuding.  I echo
Larissa's wish that we heal and re-establish our identity.  May we heal true
and strong.
  This is probably the last note you'll see from me for a long while, I've
already spent more time than I can afford on it.  Sorry if I spoiled anyone's
mood.
Kevin