[Northkeep] Principality Poll

marc-carlson at utulsa.edu marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Fri Jul 6 08:11:55 PDT 2001

Quoting Lady Julienne de Lion <ladyjulienne at hotmail.com>:
> it is my opinion that only those who vote should have a voice. if you
> mean 'no' then you should say 'no'. those who do not vote should have to
> live with the decisions of those who do. again, this is my opinion.

Please, keep in mind, this was not an -election-.  This was a poll to see if
there was enough interest in the populace to pursue the matter.  Now if we
have the following:  (taken from Sir Burke's page:  we had at that time 343
paid members [and the implication of at least that many, if not considerably
more unpaid, but let's just say that we are dealing with the paid membership
to make this easier].

343 paid members.  Only 192 answered the poll.  Of those, only 141 said yes
(which is 74% of the populace who voted).  However, that's 41% of the *PAID*
membership of the northern region.  If we assume an equal number of unpaid
members (we have no way to know for sure how many there are) that would be
around 28% (please check my figures - math is not my strength) say yes.
A majority would have been if 51% of the total population (350) had said yes,
or better - 60-70% (410-480).

We couldn't get a simple majority of the people willing to VOTE, much less
express a clear preference.  This does not suggest that there's a solid
interest in the matter at this time.

Sure, if we'd been voting for president, that might have been enough to elect,
but this wasn't an election -- this was a poll to see if we even cared about the
idea.  Apparently most people don't.

Marc/Diarmaid