[Northkeep] Older than Dirst or Lava Surfing

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Wed Jul 25 10:09:01 PDT 2001

>Honey child, there weren't no dirt until they was erosion, and they weren't
>no erosion until the water could cool down enough to stay put once it hit
>the earth.  Dirt's young.  I's older than dirt, and gummed cooling magma
>when I was teething.  Caitrin and Beorhtlic taught me to lava-surf when I
>was just knee high to a short sheep.

Now you have me really curious.  I met a couple people this weekend who
have been playing since AS 3 and 7.  Abdulla started playing out in
California in 3 and he said that he still has his orrigional hickory stick,
imagine how much harder than rattan that would be.  He also mentioned that
his personal guard now numbers many Dukes and Knights.  I am not sure where
he is from, but would be amused to listen to him tell more stories of what
it has been like watching the society grow.  Dominique said she was one of
the orrigional Steppe's babies.  It is facinating thinking of haven grown
up with the society.  I love the history of groups as well as history in
general and would love to have some get togethers focusing on the history
of the olden days within the society.

It would also be great to bring more of the people who have slid out of
activity back in, it should make our play richer.  I have throughly enjoyed
getting to know Kevin and Keigan better since her term as kahn is up and
hope to see more of them soon.  It has also been wonderful getting to know
Balvin, having not met a knight for the longest time when we first started
playing.  When Daman and Ismet speak of old memories, I have some of the
feel for having been there and it is cool.  I have only met Anton a few
times, but having seen a carature of him in one of Blackfox's drawings - I
would love to hear his tales of days of old.  Oftentimes with hobbies, they
are dropped when life takes over and we are dealing with alot.  When things
reach some sort of stasis, we don't always pick back up.  In our new
seaking of unitiy and growth, it might be a great time to contact old
friends who used to play and see if they want to come back out.  I am
greatly saddened that I will never meet Blackfox or Kendra, but there are
many more we can bring back into the fold that could add to the joy of the
game.  I am hoping some day to meet Alanna and I think I met Thomas Redhawk
once in the park, but am unsure.  Meeting Don Malcolm and his wife this
summer was delightful, as they are respected greatly by those I
respect.  It has also been nice to talk to Gwen and Richard and it was
Zenobia who introduced me to the SCA in the first place.

>Or let me put it this way - when I joined, Ansteorra was a baby kingdom, Jan
>and Kemrith were on the thrones, Finn Kelly O'Donnel had recently been
>knighted, and no one up here had heard of Inman MacMoore.
>
>By the bye, I was the hospitaller for the College of Cynthyllan (University
>of Texas at Austin) back in 1981-82.
>
>Talana
>Where'd I leave my shawl and cane?

Humm, I think Dairmaid hid them from you,

Susan, in Service to
Truth, Beauty, Freedom,
But above all...
Love.