[Northkeep] Something to amuse yourselves with...

Keith Duke hoefish at swbell.net
Sat Jun 16 13:25:58 PDT 2001

All -

I was digging thru my stuff the other day and came across the remnants of
one of my early hobbies - cryptography... Now as a kid I was fascinated
because of the more or less simple and puzzle-like qualities. Hiding
"stuff" - information, communications and what not - from ones enemies and
sending "your" people necessary info has been with us for awhile, and there
exist many period and pre-period examples.

So -

For your entertainment, I will throw out an encrypted message that was done
via period method.

Message #1
PQTVJMGGR TQEMU
NCKTF	KCP KU VJG UGPGUEJCN
TQDGTV HKVBOQTICP KU XKECT

The first resident of Northkeep who gets this correctly decoded and into my
mailbox (wkduke at swbell.com) wins a small prize.

Like a Coke & candy bar type thing.

I have a Venitian (Is that like blinds?) cypher from circa 1580 that I am
still working on encrypting the message... Doing it by hand takes awhile,
and the message has to be pretty long to give a fair chance of success at
solving... But the prize will be cooler...

Enjoy!

Piotr