[Northkeep] Something else to amuse you...

Keith Duke hoefish at swbell.net
Sat Jun 16 23:17:31 PDT 2001

As promised, here is another installment of the documentably period
cypher...

The Venitian cypher I mentioned in the first post... I changed my mind and
went with a method invented in 1518 by a German monk (I have his name, but
don't want to make it too easy...) with a serious case of occult
obsession... The technical name for this one is a "Changing key cypher"

Now to make it a little easier (not much though), I have left the
transpositions as word groups, but if we were "playing for real" the
encrypted output would be one long string of letters numbers and
punctuation... The key would be longer and would include numbers, symbols
and punctuation. As it is, any included punctuation is just that...
punctuation... and is not encoded in any form. And there are no spaces in
the key... <smile>

So here goes:

VBOA KIU JT WOZYPP BYA YYLFJ WQ HPRLDNID. XN EPWI HBBHSFYN XQIM ETS EMK
KLVNH EWPP AQEA XHIC XMGNQ H AWVGLW UMXG ILD DMJ TW KABHH SFU VPGYO XMA OU
ITD EMQZ KS YFIMXBHJ. OB GFKH HPWYG SYWA WTEF SYZ SFV LKB VPO BJX KLGS
FLPRUD RR MIQ ARBWJ OOKTE PVU TDYZGVKWF ZOH PTS "APMVYGZI DQ UFZER VRHNOUYW"
DKIJ SNMP XN HQELE AYB RQYGMT YWE DBMS WFG SORHQ NTP KMJ "WTGFT VNVFUL W WIR
AA WHVUEZEB LDP."

Other hints... This is an excerpt from a monologe in a play by Shakespeare.

The first person who gets this one and Emails the solution to
wkduke at swbell.net will get one free one year paid membership in the SCA from
me as a thank you for playing my game...

I have one more cyper I'm building, but I haven't finished constructing the
key...

Have fun...

Piotr