[Northkeep] Baronial Moot

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Mon Jun 18 14:38:03 PDT 2001

Jerry and Teresa Herring wrote:
> Greetings,
> Some of you are curious as to exactly what a Baronial Moot is?
> Well let me start with a short history lesson.
> Back several years ago the Shire of Northkeep decided it wanted to try and
> become a Barony...

This is a good definition for local usage.  If I may expand upon
this
slightly -- from the OED (generally we have used the term in
meanings
n.1.1; n.1.2; n.1.4; v.1; and only metaphorically v.2)

Noun.1
  1. gen. Meeting, encounter. Obs.
   (at least from about 1000 CE)
  2. An assembly of people, esp. one forming a court of
judicature;
     a meeting, also the place where a meeting is held. Obs. exc.
     Hist. and arch. Cf. GEMOT, WITENAGEMOT; also BURGH-MOTE,
     FOLK-MOTE, HALL-MOTE, HUNDRED-MOTE, etc.
  3. Litigation; an action at law; a plea; accusation. Obs.
  4. Argument; discussion; disputation; talking.
  5. Law. The discussion of a hypothetical case by students...
  6. attrib. moot-bell, a bell to summon people to a moot or
  assembly; moot book, a book containing law cases to be ‘mooted’
  by students; moot court, a court at which students argue
  imaginary cases for practice; moot horn, a horn for summoning
  people to a moot; moot-stow Hist., the place where a moot was
  held. Also MOOT HALL, -HILL, -HOUSE, -MAN.
Noun.2
  1. A piece of hard wood hooped with iron at each end, used in
  block-making.
  2. a. A ring-gauge for shaping treenails cylindrically to
  required size.
     b. Any particular size or diameter to which a treenail is
  to be made.
Noun.3
  The stump of a tree.
Adjective
  That can be argued; debatable; not decided, doubtful.
  Orig. in moot case (?obs.), primarily meaning a case proposed
  for discussion in a ‘moot’ of law students. See MOOT n.1 5.
Verb.1
  1. a. intr. To speak, to converse. In Sc. of 16-17th c. to
  complain, murmur. Obs.
     b. trans. To say, to utter. Obs.
  2.    a. intr. To argue, to plead, to discuss, dispute, esp. in
  a law case. In later use esp. to debate an imaginary case of
law,
  as was done by students in the Inns of Court. Obs.
Verb.2.
   trans. To dig up, to dig up by the roots. Also, to dig out,
   unearth (an otter). Hence mooted ppl. a. (Her.), mooting vbl.
n.
Verb.3
   intr. To fashion by means of a moot. Hence mooted ppl. a.,
   mooting vbl. n.