[Northkeep] Re: The Northkeep List Group Thing....

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Thu Jun 21 15:25:01 PDT 2001

I'm going to respond to something an individual wrote to me off-list -- I will reply
on-list because I suspect that there may be some questions from other people
as well (based on a few other notes I have received this afternoon), and I may
not have been clear enough.

==========================

No one's name is listed to the site I just set up who did not go there and do it
themself, or explicitly ask for me to sign them up. The signup message that you all got
through the list was an unavoidable occurrence when I signed "northkeep at ansteorra.org"
to it  The individuals who wish to sign up are all signing up on their own.  I have neither the
authority, nor the inclination to sign anyone up without their permission (except Talana,
and if she really doesn't want to be able to access this site, she'll tell me).

This has nothing to do with anything anyone else has been setting up anyplace else  It's
just an alternate web page where members who have signed up can go and put on their own
material into a calender, or a links page, and hopefully make things a little less cluttered --
or not, as the case may be :)

People who do not sign up with it won't be able to add to these things, although I am
hoping to make the site available to them to read the calender or use the links page,
or some of the other cooler options.  I've disabled the sites email function, so there
is no reason that anyone (who doesn't ask me to sign them up) should ever receive
another message from that site.

Currently there IS a chat feature, so that people who wish to engage in more personal
discussions may be encouraged to do so without resorting to email.  BlakHawk has been
working on another version of this alternative as well.  That is entirely separate from this,
but I understand it to be totally voluntary as well.

I know we've had a problem lately with extra email that has nothing to do with Northkeep,
the SCA, or History.  I would be the last person to try to make that worse.

So, in short, no one's mail status (who hasn't asked for it, or done it themselves -- except
Talana) has changed.  Relax, no panicking --  nothing weird is going on, the exit signs are
clearly marked..  I think this will be a good idea for everyone in the long run.

Marc/Diarmaid