[Northkeep] Baronial Moot

Jerry and Teresa Herring herring at rectec.net
Mon Jun 18 14:17:07 PDT 2001

Greetings,
Some of you are curious as to exactly what a Baronial Moot is?

Well let me start with a short history lesson.
Back several years ago the Shire of Northkeep decided it wanted to try and
become a Barony. A man named Malcolm of Loch Greymist was Seneschal at the
time. The officers at the time under Malcolm's leadership decided to host a
series of Meetings/Revels (parties) where the future and issues facing
Northkeep could be openly discussed amongst all the populace. The Moots were
held in backyards, front-yards, and parks all over the area. The Moots were
an open meetings chaired by the seneschal where issues that were required in
proceeding toward becoming a Barony were discussed. The meeting was followed
by a Potluck dinner and then reveling. Sometimes there were Bardic circles,
sometimes drunken partying. What sticks with me is that these Moots were the
place where the Barony of Northkeep was born. The Moot provided a place for
people to get to know each other and to bond and become friends, a place
where the Magic of the SCA was forged in Food, Fun, and Song. The Moots
carried on through Sigen being Seneschal and they ended when Northkeep
became a Barony.

I feel that the Barony of Northkeep was able to use these Moots as the fuel
which has carried it through the  formative years and now we need another
dose of that. Now that we are facing some tough times we need to turn back
to the grass roots of the group and bond ourselves together again...to talk
about and plan our future together...to have fun and build the dream that
will carry us through the next 5 years and help us maintain our momentum as
a group. It is Northkeep's closeness and friendship that helps us have fun
in what we do. That fun needs some recharging right now so we are bringing
back the Moot.
Everyone within the Barony and its Cantons are invited to the first moot and
we can discuss inviting other friends to later Moots.  Everyone will have a
chance to talk and with all of us working together we can discuss the issues
we are facing and come to decisions that are the best for everyone involved.

This First moot we will start with a late Fighter practice at 4PM and around
6 PM we hope to start the meeting taking a few hours to talk out the issues
and hear peoples comments, suggestions, and opinions. Robert will talk about
what has transpired since the meeting with his Majesty Jason, and He and I
will cover what our plans and options are for the future.
At around 7:30 or 8 PM we should start the Potluck and after that will be
open partying.

My Plan is to have one Moot per month until the current situation is
resolved.

I hope that this helps explain what a moot is and everyone can attend and
participate. If you have any other questions please feel free to direct them
to me either publicly or privately. I would be glad to answer them.

Kind regards,
Ian