[Northkeep] Medieval religions (Was Heraldic Question)

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Tue Jun 12 15:05:46 PDT 2001

Oh, boy -- can I play?

Derek Wilson wrote:
> Weren't so much talking about recorded "pagan" religions so much as
> non-catholic I think. The Crusades pretty much found plenty of Islamics to
> bring the light to in one fashion or another in europe. And of course the
> split between the Greek orthodox and catholics was not one you advertised
> openly if you lived in the others territory. So while the "underground
> religion" of wicca and the church of the ray of light at the 4th fork in the
> river stuff is pretty much based on conjecture...

Actually, it's mostly made up from whole cloth. ("Mostly" in this
case referring to
the difference between ignorance, misunderstandings, and outright
lies)

> ...There were plenty of underground religions depending on where you were and
> when...

Most of them didn't tend to last last long.  Studies of the
underground practice of Judaism in Spain pretty much show a rapid
disintegration of *religious* practice in to "weird things our
family's always done and no one knows why").

> And as far as converting being painless I would venture to guess those who were
> converted during the crusades would contest that notion.

The *Crusades* weren't really into "conversion", but rather
extermination for
reasons attributed to religion.  Totally different topic.  Also,
we should try
to not confuse the religion with the practitioners.  *Conversion*
from the
original pagan practices tended to be because -Christianity-
offered things
that the older religions didn't (the same reason BTW, why modern
paganism is
converting people from Christianity -- you'll notice that there
aren't a lot
of death threats by neo-Pagans if you don't convert.  Conversely,
as with
Christians/Christianity not being interchangeable -- while some
modern Pagans
are total assholes, that doesn't mean that all are, or that we
should judge
the religions based on that [and for the record, for the new
people, while
Diarmaid's a good follower of Rome, Marc is a neo-Pagan, so don't
make
assumptions]).

It's this debate which is why religion is traditionally frowned
on in the SCA,
isn't it?

Marc/Diarmaid