[Northkeep] Motto Stuff

Darin K. Herndon darin-herndon at utulsa.edu
Sun Jun 17 12:18:56 PDT 2001

As kind of a follow-up to this thread since I'm finally getting back
online, let me reiterate somethings about languages and mottos.

In period, most mottos were either in Latin or French though a
noticable amount were also in English.  As much as anything this has
to do with who invented and who used mottos in their achievements of
arms, if you invent something you tend to use your own language or
the closest universal tranlator equivalent (Latin).

In the SCA, many different languages are used.  Master Daniel
Blackaxe has the motto "Have Spear, Will Travel" in Icelandic.  If we
wanted to stay more period in style, I'd encourage Latin or French or
even English.  If we really want another language, in the SCA that is
OK.

Diarmaid wrote something about mottos (I'm paraphrasing not quoting
here) and noted that they usually proclaimed loyalty, described the
clan or group or barony, and also mentioned battle cries.  (Where did
"spoon" come from Angus?)  There have been several suggestions so far
that meet this criteria; hopefully there will be more as we approach
populace meeting.  One method, take it or leave it, for selecting a
motto and language would be to decide the meaning first and then look
for the language in which that meaning sounds most impressive.  At
heart, it is the meaning which is most important.  In the best of all
possible worlds, we might end up with a motto which decribes us,
proclaims our loyalty, and makes a great battle cry; but I wouldn't
throw out any good alternatives that don't fit all three.

I think it is clan MacGregor which has the motto "Royal is my Race"
(in Latin).  They used it as a battle cry as well (of course, being
Scottish they also used their clan name as a battle cry and Northkeep
can use "Northkeep" as a battle cry).

Etienne