[Northkeep] Religious Threads on the Northkeep list...

Dennis England sirbalvin at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 20 15:50:13 PDT 2001

Well said Brother.

Balvin
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kief av Kiersted" <sirkief at hotmail.com>
To: <northkeep at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 2:15 AM
Subject: [Northkeep] Religious Threads on the Northkeep list...

Heilsa all my Good and True siblings in Northkeep...

The archives are a wonderous thing are they not? I have just spent better
than 2 hours reading a small portion of the on-going flame on religion... I
would suggest that most of you folks that are so adamant about *your*
version of history to get a clue. In period everybody killed everybody else.
Usually over land, power, money...religion was just a convenient excuse to
"off" your fellow man...or woman...or neighbor...or that whole town over
there...or country..... For those folks that say the Christians were nice
people and the conversions were peaceful...baloney. For those folks that say
the pagans or heathens were peaceful...baloney. Tens of thousands...hundreds
of thousands...millions (if we get right down to brass tacks) died in the
name of *someone's* religion. You know it's not (insert your favorite
religion here) bashing if its the *truth*. Churches were built over sites
sacred to other religions. Saints were named after some of the "old gods".
Symbols of other religions were destroyed, a good example was the Saxon
Irminsul. Groves and forests that were sacred were razed by the Christian
converters.... And...churches were sacked, monks killed, altars looted, holy
relics and books defiled, towns put to the sword and torch...by the heathen
/ pagan followers of the old ways (insert your favorite "old way" here). If
you were Jewish during certains periods in history, or lived in a certain
city or country...your life wasn't worth much. The same can be said for
homosexuals... Plenty of Christian "heretics" found their life to be short
and violent... The Muslim countries had their fill of the Crusades and
returned the favor by almost over running Europe eventually... Hmmmm...and
exactly what religion did the Mongols follow...now *there* were some
cheerful folks out on a peaceful picnic...

Bah! We, good my friends and neighbors, are in this together. I don't give a
rat's behind what *your* religion is...as long as you leave me to *my*
religious beliefs. The only thing that arguments over religion cause are
hard feelings that lead to dislike and eventually hate. And hate leads to
the mistakes that have been made over the centuries...the little differences
that have slaughtered millions of people. Folks, the place to have religious
discussions is *face to face* and not on-line. It's *way* too easy to rip
each others hearts and lungs out using this medium. Hmmmmm...perhaps we need
a list named "Ansteorran-Donnybrook" or "Ansteorran-Holmgang" so those with
contentious nature can go duke it out.

My totally unasked for and probably unwanted 10 cents worth...

Respond in public if you must...but better in private if you please.

Wæs Þu Hæl in TroÞ and FriÞ...!
Kief "one of the southron oppressors" av Kiersted
"Better the Hammer than the nail..."