[Northkeep] [NR] The Northkeep/Thorgrim and Sigen Issue

Marc Carlson marc-carlson at utulsa.edu
Mon May 21 07:41:07 PDT 2001

At 08:41 AM 5/21/01 -0700, Michael wrote:
>>no one from here has made any slanderous or liable comments.
>>seditious is in the eye of the beholder.
>seditious is allowing liars to sit as landeds, seditious is what the crown
>>did to our landeds, some idiot from the peanut gallery screeching out the
>>'truth' is not seditious...

Since it's the eye of the beholder, it may well be.  I'm not taking a stand here --
I don't approve of how Michael chose to express himself, but then my approval
isn't necessary.  On the other hand, publicly presenting an ugly "Fact" in a form
that serves only to encourage the recent factionalism (whether that is needed
not) is no more or less seditious than the suggestion that people redefine
"stuff" to include dog excrement.

"Seditious - 1. Of a person or body of persons: Given to or guilty of sedition; in
early use, ‘factious with tumult, turbulent’ (J.); now chiefly, engaged in promoting
disaffection or inciting to revolt against constituted authority..." (OED, in case anyone
cares)

by which meaning ("engaged in promoting disaffection ... against constituted authority"),
yes, Michael is being seditious.  However, if we toss in the medieval meaning, of
factiousness, or promoting the causes of factions, then, congratulations on your both
using the term in a proper medieval fashion, with illustrative demonstrations, no less.

I don't agree with Michael's presentation, but I do respect that it IS his opinion, and his
understanding of the facts, and that he felt those needed to be expressed, just as
Isabella's expression of her opinion about Michael's service award was her opinion,
and that it needed to be expressed - whether everyone agrees with it, or no one does.

So, the reality is that *some* individuals are upset about this and want to express that.
I think we've gotten that message now.  If you want to express yourself, speaking for
myself (since that's all I -can- do), that's great.  Please remember that this list is read
by people from all over, and not just this group; to use the terms from yesterday, it's not
moderated, but it is monitored.  This list IS a face of Northkeep (if not THE face) for
those people who don't know anything about us.  So, maybe, possibly, you could reserve
those opinions for face to face interaction, taking your opinions to other people.  I believe
Michael is willing to have people express their opinions to him in person.

Marc/Diarmaid