[Northkeep] Re: [NR] A few of my Favorite Things

Susan O'Neal catmafia at swbell.net
Wed May 30 23:31:01 PDT 2001

I have been rereading all of the posts I saved where people shared their
reminisces of their favorite things and people in the SCA.  I am both
warmed by the wonderful memories and also feeling a bit like I have missed
out on an era that could be revived.  I came into this game as a supportive
mother who's daughter is fascinated with history and a chance to
participate in a glimmer of all that could be entranced her.  I am so very
grateful for the many who have fanned this passion in her and to you I am
grateful, you are many.  I will admit I am longing for perfection (yes, I
do prefer rose colored glasses) and know that it is not possible as long as
people are involved in an endeavor, but I long for people rising above the
petty and going to lengths to be chivalrous and kind to one another.  I
long for ideals in graciousness and service to be lived out so that my
daughters will be surrounded by the wonderful models that I know are within
the society.  Honor is what one sees in how a person lives their lives, let
us rise to this occasion.

This weekend the children of Northkeep will be working hard in the kitchen
preparing a wonderful feast.  They will also be seated in places of honor
during feast.  I implore you to remember the impact of your deportment this
weekend and how it shows the ideals that the society is based on.  It would
be incredible if everyone made a concerted effort to bring as much to this
event as they could to make the dream live for us all, we are currently
building the memories for the future and I would love for this event to be
a magical one.  My personal approach towards this is to share baskets of
goodwill.  I will be under a green pavilion near the list field weaving and
will be giving my baskets out as offerings of goodwill from myself, my
family and my barony; I look forward to meeting many of you during the
event there.  Please feel free to stop by and visit and I would love to
hear more stories of the wonder that is the SCA.

In service to the Dream and all that is good and honorable,
Susan the Curious
Northkeep