[Northkeep] Bringing my mother out

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 8 11:26:08 PST 2001

>From: "Lady Julienne de Lion" <ladyjulienne at hotmail.com>
>what in the knowne world is a pillory mock up?

Absolutely nothing like it in the Knowne World :)

Don't worry, you aren't the only one who didn't get the joke.  My bad.

A mock up, of course, is a model - usually a working model -- of something.

A pillory is a device for punishment of criminals or social offenders,
consisting of some way of chaining that person by the neck and wrists to
some sort of stationary platform (in colonial American the "Stocks" were a
form of pillory).  There he or she was available for people to insult,
ridicule, throw things at, molest, and in other ways torment.

In the SCA (i.e. the Knowne Worlde) we punish people we perceive as social
transgressors in other ways (most frequently by rumors, innuendo, talking
about them behind their back, and so on).  Since Susan asked that her mother
not be exposed to that, I was jokingly suggesting that subjecting her to the
more accurate (and argueably more honest, and honorable) version was
probably out too.

*sigh* Jokes loses SO much when you have to explain them.

Susan, I look forward to meeting your mother -- assuming we can find
wherever you are during the day.

Marc/Diarmaid