[Northkeep] New Project, data gathering

Miriam Cook zahavabathannah at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 30 08:28:19 PST 2001

A line in what Dairmaid wrote struck a chord in me...
"I am not looking to hurt people, or to get people
angry.  But if things from a decade or so ago can
still affect how people respond, or respond to
the group today -- and the average age of most members
is less than three years, maybe it would be fair to
tell them WHY people are acting such a way,
or these decisions were made.  That's the purpose of
history."

Because the old addage is not just an old addage..."if
you forget your history you are doomed to repeate it."

I am lucky enough to be young enough not to remember
the bad times. But I want to thank Dairmaid for being
strong enough to take on such a task.

Zahava

--- Marc Carlson <marccarlson20 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> READ THIS FIRST!  PAY ATTENTION!  Respond to me at
> MARCCARLSON20 at HOTMAIL.COM
> or Marc-Carlson at UTULSA.EDU.  Questions and asking
> for clarification can come
> to the list, but the information I am asking for
> should not.
> ======================================
> I have discussed this with the other officers, and
> since none of them have
> made little squealy guineapigs sounds of fear (at
> least not where I can hear
> them), I'll pass this along.  You may feel free to
> forward this to whomever
> you wish.
>
> After some long discussions and thought, I've
> decided to work on a history
> of the group - generally what happened, when, and
> why this was important to
> the group.  Yes, a general history was compiled when
> we became a Barony -
> but this was some time back and is badly out of
> date.  Worse, it's a helpful
> tool, but historically tells us nothing.
> There is no mention made of the events that were
> taking place that were
> important to people.  Ultimately, what I want to do
> is compile a history
> that addresses the past in such a way that (in those
> rare occasions when two
> people or groups were in conflict) both would be
> able to agree with what I
> have said.
>
> To give a non-SCA example, we can look at the "Tulsa
> Race Riot" -- an
> emotionally charged event that people have been
> fighting over for some time
> now -- mostly with arguements of "it's their fault"
> and "no, it's their
> fault".  The basic facts (Mob action leading to
> rioting, the next morning a
> portion of the population was rounded up and where
> they lived was razed by
> fire. People died) are not in dispute, it's the
> details that people are
> fighting over.
>
> What I need from people to do this, at this point,
> is information.  Ideally
> I want to hear from everyone who was around -- that
> means I'm going to have
> to track some of these people down.  Otherwise, if
> you want to pass this
> along to them, be my guest.  The more information I
> can get from people, the
> less likely this will turn out to be "oh that's
> Diarmaid's version - it's
> wrong".
>
> If you want to participate, or know of anyone who
> would, the URL for the
> basic timeline of the history that was compiled back
> for the Baronial thing
> is at http://northkeep.ansteorra.org/history1.html.
> I've got that.  It is somewhat different from *MY*
> version of the events,
> which I've already written.  What I want is -your-
> version of the events -
> and hers, and his, and theirs.  If you have
> documentation to support what
> [...]

=====
Reality is merely and illusion, albeit a persistent one.
                                -----A. Einstein
I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Maybe give me insight between black and white
The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all.  ---Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine"