[Northkeep] To the archery marshal

Derek Wilson dwilson at dollar.com
Wed Aug 14 07:12:03 PDT 2002

Below is an excerpt from a recent E-mail I received from the KAM regarding
the best materials for making combat arrows.

WHAT YOU SHOULD BUY.

Currently we recommend that you use the "Extren" brand of rod manufactured
by
the Strongwell Corp.   http:// www.strongwell.com  In my opinion this is by
far the best, strongest, safest fiberglass rod that we have tested.  You
basically have to bend it into a pretzel to break it (very hard to do) and
if you do manage to break it there is a nice long-fiber separation that hold
the two pieces firmly together.  You can see some results of some of my
ongoing fiberglass rod testing at
http://www.baronbows.com/scafiles/shafts.htm

Here are suppliers of "Extern" brand fiberglass rod in Ansteorra

Austin               Professional Plastics     512-833-9955
Austin               Ryan Herco                512-835-1770
Dallas               Ryerson                   214-637-4710
Dallas               McNichols                 214-349-3160
Houston              I.M. Pena                 281-442-8381
Pasadena(Houston)    Vee Industrial            713-472-5071

Oklahoma City        Cope Plastics             405-528-5697
Tulsa                Industrial Corrosion      918-493-2352
Tulsa                Ryerson                   918-428-3841

Even if these dealers do not have the rod in stock, Strongwell keeps the
product in stock at their warehouses and the dealer can get it from
Strongwell along with their next regular shipment.

Another acceptable manufacturer of fiberglass rod for combat arrows is
Maclean-Fogg.  I don't think it is as good as the "Extren" brand of rod but
it is still way better than the stuff from Gene Bolton/Tencom.  Sir Erika at
Northstar Archery http://www.northstararchery.com sells cut to length shafts
made from Maclean fiberglass rod along with other combat arrow building
components.

While we are on the subject of materials for combat arrows.  Many of the
above plastics and industrial supply dealers are also sources for 1.25" UHMW
rod used to make the UHMW cored blunts.  I know Cope Plastics, Ryan Herco,
and Professional Plastics all carry UHMW. Another good supplier of UHMW is
Laird Plastics  http://www.lairdplastics.com who has locations nationwide
with several in TX.