[Northkeep] Question?!

GabriDAvila at netscape.net GabriDAvila at netscape.net
Sun Feb 17 22:31:24 PST 2002

Greetings to the list,

It is very interesting to hear everyone's opinions on fighting, the arts, and sciences. I do not disagree that fighting draws crowds, but having attended Medieval and Renaissance Fairs before knowing about the SCA, I can honestly say that - in my experience - while the fighting (or jousting) was fine for amusement, it only held my attention for so long. Arts, sciences, and bardic were much more mentally stimulating and interesting for me in those days. (Cool - They did that! Wow! People still do those things.)

And it was definitely NOT the heavy fighting that drew me into the SCA or has made my experience in the SCA the wonderful experience that it has been. One of the wonderful aspects of the SCA is how much people with different interests interact, and I feel that is a strength. I rarely hear someone who particularly enjoys one aspect of the SCA bashing on someone else's SCA interest - there is generally a respect for others and their interests.

Each aspect of the SCA adds to our re-creation of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, and - one would hope - to our recreation. I hope that we avoid the derision that can cause bitterness and continue to work to support each other in our various endeavors.

En servicio,
Gabriela D'Avila