[Northkeep] Fiore in Tulsa

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 09:20:15 PST 2002

Just a couple of things.

First, Bob Charron's book will be coming out in June (according to the
publisher's latest updates) and followed by the second one.  These will be
pricy (over a $100 for both -- the first one is $59.95), but based on what I
saw this weekend, they will be worth it.  Save your pennys.
The Baronial Library might also want to think about picking up copies.

If you can't wait. you can find a copy of the Pisani-Dossi manuscript at
http://www.thehaca.com/Manuals/Liberi.htm (that's the one he described as
having the useless poems with the pictures - personally, I wonder if it
wasn't meant more as a reminder/handout than a manual :) ).

Also check out the Quicktime Movies at
http://www.schola-solis.com/Workshop/flyer.htm

This weekend served, if nothing else, as a priceless demonstration of how to
examine period materials and, with time and study, try to draw conclusions
about how things could have been done - no matter how goofy they look in the
pictures, or the text.

If anyone is interested in giving it a go themselves, www.thehaca.com has a
number of other medieval manuals online (I'm finding the I.33 c.1295 of
particular interest right now, since that's Diarmaid's period).  For earlier
stuff, there are compulations of descriptions of fighting from the Sagas
there also.  If anyone would like to try to figure out how those might be
usable in the real world, I would be interested in seeing that (and would be
happy to give any help asked of me).  And no, I'm not planning on taking up
fighting any time soon :)

Marc/Diarmaid