[Northkeep] Too cool date thing

Istvan Temesvari istvan at micahtek.com
Thu Feb 14 06:42:32 PST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Susan wrote:

> >   8:02 PM on February 20 this year will be an historic moment in time. It
> > will not be marked by the chiming of any clocks or the ringing of bells,
> > but at that precise time, on that specific date and will  never happen again.
> >
> >    As the clock ticks over from 8:01 pm on Wednesday, February 20, time
> >   will, for sixty seconds only, read in perfect symmetry 2002, 2002, 2002,
> >   or to be more precise - 20:02, 20/02, 2002.
> >
> >   The only other time the clock has been palindromic was at 10:01 AM on
> > January 10, 1001, and it will never  happen again.

Susan, your curiosity must be contagious.

After thinking about this for a while (I am interested in numbers and
patterns), I discovered a few things. It has actually happened two other
times before:

11:11 AM, November 11, 1111 AD
1:10 AM, October 1, 110 AD (if you pad with zeros)

and it will happen once more:

9:12 PM, Dec 21, 2112 AD

but we probably won't be around to see that one.

Istvan