[Northkeep] Re: Northkeep digest, Vol 1 #452 - 11 msgs

FARMING20 at webtv.net FARMING20 at webtv.net
Sat Feb 16 13:06:46 PST 2002

You know, theres a nice way of making  a point, and its sad when we must
feel the need to put people down because they are not doing the things
that we think are important, regardless of weather other people think
they are important or not.  First off, just how many people have we
recruted at med faire.  For the life of me, and Im probably  one of the
few who has gone to at least 18 med faires, I dont remember that I EVER
saw somone come into the SCA from out of the croud of people there.  For
around 15 yrs I have talked to people during the fighting, and never
have I had somone come up to me in garb and say ( Hey remember me, I met
you at med faire, we talked for awhile, ect.)  NEVER.  Suppose somone
said, hey since its such a small field, and people are there to see the
best fighting we have to show,  lets cut out all fighters except the
knights and squires.  They generally wear the better armour, and have
the better gambasons ect, and the rest generally are wearing any old
thing, and in Wilhelms case I do mean OLD, 1984, and the knights put on
a better fight , we ll let them fight only.   We, u and me,wouldnt like
that.  I think Im just as important as any old knight or squire, and Im
proud of my fightng, same as you all are, and we would be pretty mad to
be excluded from the event.   Fighting, and arts and Sciences can be
likened to cake.  Anybody like anglefood, or devilsfood, or german
chocolate cake-----------    without the frosting?  I sure as hell dont.
Kinda dry after a shor twhile.  Do you like frosting, enough to do a
cake without the cake.  hell yes, BUT,  It dont go very far, and once
when I was in the army I pulled KP and was washing pots and pans.  A
private brought me a big pan that was just brownish black on the bottom.
I as pISSed.  I figured id never get that clean again, until I took a
good look, and seen that it was a 16in dia pan with 1in of chocolate
frosting on the bottom.  I ate and ate, but fnally I couldnt eat any
more and cleaned the pan.  SICK, o GOD, let me tell you.  IO coulda
crapped through a keyhole at 30ft.  My point being, the cake and the
frosting go together, and go down together a whole lot better then
sepretly.  Mysef, I cannot see the problem.  If you educate the people
talking to the crouds that they tell the rest of the story, and direct
and encourage the people to go and look at all the rest that we have to
offer, then weve done the best we can do.  Indeed, I too beieve the
heavys draw the crouds.  Ive seen it too many times over the years.  the
crouds thin when the lights take the field, but hell we need them to
spell us.  We cant fight all day.  Hell , all I see outa Northkeep and
Middleguard is aroud 2-3 hrs best with at least one stop an hour for say
20 min.  We gotta have a breather.  Also, theres gonna be sombody who
does not like heavy fighting and does like light fighting.  What about
archery, we do not show it at all, but I guarentee if we could people
would line up to see an archery competition who would not care a hoot
for any kind of fighting.  The point is, WERe Diverse.  Weve got so much
to show and so few people and space to show it.  I suspect people watch
us fight the same way they would watch a cat fight.  great to watch, but
they wouldnt want to be in it.  Just my 2 crowns.  Lord WQilhelm Da
Kaalavo

http://community.webtv.net/FARMING20/BILLSLAND