[Northkeep] Books not published in US

Miriam Cook zahavabathannah at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 16 11:38:13 PST 2002

I was having similar cigar-laiden thoughts! And, um...
yes... it is still very illegal.  The fact that the
author is Cuban is actually less of a problem than the
Cuban publisher, binder, paper-maker etc.... I am
really suprized that amazon.uk would even ship it to
you-- they can get into big trouble with the American
Customs regulations--

Miri

--- Marc Carlson <marccarlson20 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> >From: Susan <catmafia at swbell.net>
> >Wow Talana, thanks for all the specifics.  My major
> problem, come to speak
> >of it, was the author being from Cuba I guess
> then...
>
> Ah, that.  There are a lot of things that come from
> Cuba that we can't get
> here - what with that pesky trade embargo we placed
> on Castro back in what,
> the 60s?  Definately a special case in which, yes,
> it's illegal to buy from
> them (and arguably it's illegal to even buy and
> smuggle in via a third party
> like Amazon.UK -- if you had done it back in the
> 70's with, say, cigars,
> everyone on this list would have been in trouble as
> an accomplice after the
> fact in a Federal felony.  Thank goodness we're
> living in more enlightended
> time -- oh wait...)
>
> M/D

=====
Reality is merely and illusion, albeit a persistent one.
                                -----A. Einstein
I'm trying to tell you something about my life
Maybe give me insight between black and white
The best thing you've ever done for me
Is to help me take my life less seriously, it's only life after all.  ---Indigo Girls "Closer to Fine"