[Northkeep] Baronial Law...

Darin Herndon darin_herndon at bswintl.com
Tue Jan 22 15:22:25 PST 2002

.. and now for the rest of the story (as Paul Harvey would say).

Damon posted a lot of the background that I was unaware of as to why
the Dionader was read into Baronial Law.  Here is the rest of the
story.

There is only one item of Baronial Law that I am aware of.  If I
remember correctly, I may have even been the one who read it though I am
certain I was present at that populace meeting.  It is specifically
about the Dionader.  It specifies format and several other elements.  I
believe there is a copy in the either the court book or the herald's
files.  To the best of my knowledge, nothing else has been read into law
as baronial law.

Most groups don't have a law, they just have traditions.  The only real
purposes for reading something like this into law is to 1) write it down
so that third hand knowledge doesn't replace original intent and 2) to
make it just slightly more difficult to change.  Our Baron and Baroness
can read just about anything into Baronial Law so long as it is 1)
actually read into law, 2) published (a copy of the Dionader should be
in a Saga somewhere), 3) signed by the B&B and the seneschal (who should
make sure that 4 is true), and 4) does not violate kingdom, SCA, or
mundane law or corpora or by-laws, etc.  Writing things down can help
preserve original intent so that after four years of drunken fireside
stoytelling the format doesn't change because no one remembers the real
intent.

I will look into the files with Rosamund and see if we can find the
herald's copy.  If so, I will forward to Their Excellencies and a copy
to Diarmuid for the website.

Etienne