[Northkeep] Populace meeting Tomorrow

Anthony Lackey catan at webzone.net
Tue Jan 29 16:17:18 PST 2002

    To my disappointment, this is another Populace Meeting I will have
to miss (to say nothing of WinterKingdom, another disappointing miss).
Also Anton will miss due to a tiresome work requirement.
    One of the reasons this is making me unhappy (aside from the fact I
feel like I'm in the Witness Protection Program, or snowed in, it's been
so long since I've seen anybody outside of work) is that Anton and I
have not yet had an opportunity to publicly stand up and give wordfame
and our deepest thanks to the many people who helped us so much at
Investiture.  Of course their names are legion, there is never far to
look for help in this Barony if you need it, especially at an event.
But there are about a dozen or so who went above and beyond the call,
who filled niches desperately needing filling, who did what needed doing
and volunteered to do it (and glad of the chance to do it!), who in
short, made Investiture a wonderful event for us as well as our Barony
and its guests.
    These people deserve special recognition.  They deserve our publicly
expressed gratitude.  They deserve, in short, PRESENTS!  Now I know that
none of them did what they did to get a present.  Or thanks, or
wordfame.  That's part of the reason they deserve those things.  But
it's also because we want to.  Nobody's making us give anybody anything,
but we want to because they so totally deserve it.  And it's a pleasure
rewarding those that do so deserve it.
    Some of these presents I had hoped to give tonight, for the
recipients that were at the meeting tonight.  But it's just not on for
me.  So if putting it off till next populace is ok with everyone, I'd
like to do it then.  I promise I (or we) won't take up a lot of time, we
can do this fast.
    If you wonder why I don't thank these people now, online, I can only
say I have a thing about that...thanks, like apologies, aren't proper
unless they are given in person.  Just the way I feel about it.  I also
don't want to name them because I want to surprise them.  I'll bet the
majority of these folks have no idea they did anything special to get
rewarded for.  People that do this kind of work generally think that's
business as usual, to work their butts off and make things happen.  And
they like it.
    We love them, and this whole Barony, who made autocrating what could
have been a *very* challenging event seem almost effortless.  Bless you
all.
    I hope to see all of you next month, at the latest.

Catrin, and for Anton