[Northkeep] stolen armour update

Puck Curtis puck_curtis at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 25 09:35:08 PDT 2002

Hiya,

Since we are talking hypothetically about something that was just a joke,
it's true that threatening people is illegal.  The legal definition of
assault may be found here:
http://www.escm.com/legal/

*********************
Assault
An attempt or threat to harm another person which causes apprehension in
that person. Although the term frequently is used to describe illegal force,
the use of force technically is battery.
*********************

It would also deal with conspiracy which you may find defined here:
http://singlesourceservice.securedata.net/INTERIORpages/terms/Legal%20Terms/conspiracy.htm

A partial defintion of the legal term:
***********************
CONSPIRACY - 18 U.S.C. 371 makes it a separate Federal crime or offense for
anyone to conspire or agree with someone else to do something which, if
actually carried out, would amount to another Federal crime or offense. So,
under this law, a 'conspiracy' is an agreement or a kind of 'partnership' in
criminal purposes in which each member becomes the agent or partner of every
other member.

In order to establish a conspiracy offense it is not necessary for the
Government to prove that all of the people named in the indictment were
members of the scheme; or that those who were members had entered into any
formal type of agreement; or that the members had planned together all of
the details of the scheme or the 'overt acts' that the indictment charges
would be carried out in an effort to commit the intended crime.

Also, because the essence of a conspiracy offense is the making of the
agreement itself (followed by the commission of any overt act), it is not
necessary for the Government to prove that the conspirators actually
succeeded in accomplishing their unlawful plan.
************************

If anyone ever was beaten, that would also be battery
http://singlesourceservice.securedata.net/INTERIORpages/terms/Legal%20Terms/battery.htm

************************
BATTERY - Harmful or offensive contact with the person or another or with
something closely appurtenant thereto, caused by an act intended to result
in such contact or the in the apprehension thereof directed at the other or
at a third person.

Of course, no one would ever post a conspiracy to assault and batter anyone
on a public list, so fortunately, it's just an interesting side discussion.
If they did, and the people on the list did nothing, they could also be held
accountable.

Puck