[Northkeep] Linen for the guard tabbards

Anthony Lackey catan at webzone.net
Tue Jun 4 18:48:16 PDT 2002

    Officiously intruding here--offer as credentials the fact that I made some
of the original tabards for the Baronial Guard.
    We found out the hard way that some red fabrics are not colorfast (and
never can be made so, no matter how often they are prewashed and with what
fixative), resulting in *pink* saltires.  I would recommend any heavyweight
cotton or linen, but buy a sample (1/3 yard is good) and wash it on hot with a
white handkerchief or piece of any white cotton or linen in the wash with it.
If the white fabric turns up pink, don't use the red for tabards!
    Scotchguard can alleviate some of this, but it's not infallible to prevent
color bleeding.  So in my opinion, buying red fabric for tabards off the
internet is chancy for the reasons above.

Catrin