[Northkeep] Linen for the guard tabbards

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 5 10:55:57 PDT 2002

>From: Catrin <catan at webzone.net>
>Poor Diarmaid, a wise man is often unlistened to!  Most of us still equate
>"wool" with "hot" as you know.  But keep trying and keep wearing it--I'm
>thinking of some summerweight wool myself (like I need more fabric)

*sigh*  You'd think I'd get used to it :)

The trick to it is to remind yourself when you are putting it on that "this
is normal" and not "this will be hot and uncomfortable".  if you tell
yourself that it will be unpleasant - it will be.  There are many places
where historically wool was worn as a regular daily thing -- even in hot
desert and semi-humid areas.  Most people just wear it incorrectly (as in
without the various layers (preferably of linen) under it) - and try to stay
where there's a breeze.  The linen will not only suck the water away from
you, but also from the wool, and let it evaporate.  (Not to criticize my
wife's handiwork, but Bjorlich's gambeson was designed to protect him, not
keep him cool.  The materials keep the water he puts out in place, and wet
wool IS warm.  Knowledge improves over time, and the next one he gets will
be different).

And OF COURSE summer weight (for summer).  The stuff I was wearing this
weekend was a light to medium.  That green cote I normally wear is a light
weight woolen broadcloth, and is fantastic, even unlined (the next one will
be lined.  Knowledge increases over time).

As an aside, you may need to ask Talana what fabric she uses to make the
centurion cloaks from, but it seems to hold up well, and doesn't bleed.  I
do know that it's a cotton stuff (she doesn't pay any attention to me on
this either), and is a pain to find though.

Marc/Diarmaid