[Northkeep] music help (kind of SCA related)

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 12 12:54:06 PST 2002

My brother has a talent with being able to teach himself  to play most
any musical instrument he picks up.  He has now decided he'd like to try
the bagpipes.  The problem is, he's not sure he wants to play them and
they don't seem to come cheaply. It's not an instrument one can
generally find as a rental (or is it somewhere?).  That's my basic
question.  Is there a place he can rent/borrow or buy pipes rather
inexpensively--used would be fine.  He works for the Boy Scouts--not a
really high paying outfit?  A chanter (sp?) was suggested to him, but he
felt it wouldn't really give him a true understanding of the
instrument.  I don't know anything about it, I just told him if anyone
would know, someone in the SCA would.

Please, answer off list if you have any suggestions.

Thank you,

Ismet