[Northkeep] Nine Worthies

Hugh & Belinda Niewoehner BurgBorrendohl at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 24 11:07:23 PST 2002

Good Gentles,

It is my understanding that many of our valiant warriors traveled to the
South to compete for the highest position of the land.  I hope that
their journey was fair and perhaps one of our own might possibly be our
next Sovereign.  It was most unfortunate, however, that the scheduling
of these events did not permit them to visit with our friends and allies
to the North.  For in Vatavia my lord and I were most warmly received
and greatly entertained.

I speak of Vatavia's Nine Worthies Pas d'Armes.  Such pageantry and
skill was not only fun to participate in (my lord assures me) but
wonderful to watch.  Among the knights of Calontir, nine (actually there
were ten) were chosen to represent nine of histories most valiant and
notable men.  We were entertained by Joshua, David, Judas Macabee,
Hector of Troy, Alexander of Macedonia, Julius Caesar, Arthur Pendragon
(who was accompanied by coconut horse sounds ala "Holy Grail"),
Charlemagne, Godfrey de Boullion, and William Marshall.  Each worthy had
a herald who introduced him and his two man team with as much flare as
could be desired (very reminiscent of A Knight's Tale).  Most of the
teams had tabards and shields to identify them and Hector had his coat
of arms on his shield and the appropriate marks of cadence to identify
his companions as his two heirs.  One worthy brought elephants
(Alexander?).  The Worthies' shields were displayed on a tree and the
leader of each challenging team would strike the shield of the Worthy he
wished to engage.  Near the end of the Tourney many of the Knights not
portraying Worthies put together a team of The Unworthies.  These
included:  Judas Iscariot, Brutus, Charles the Bald, Richard III, Prince
John, etc.  They were also introduced by Andrixsos with all due pomp and
ceremony.  "Charles who has valiantly fought dozens and dozens of
battles--of course, he hasn't won one of them."  Brutus had come to give
an escort of honor for Julius to the Senate, and Richard III who said,
"Say what you like about me, Arthur, but at least I never slept with any
of my family."

His Excellency Vatavia was elevated to Huscarl at one point during the
day.  HL Toen was put on vigil.

All and all it was probably the most fun I have had watching a
tournament in the SCA.  Damon fought on a team with the Baron of Lonely
Tower.  It seemed appropriate since their colors are red, black and
white (a single white tower on a split red and black field).  Perhaps
they could be our sister Barony in Calontir.  Their team was the first
of a long line to actually defeat one of the Worthy Teams, thus proving
it could be done.

Just wanted to let you know how great it was and hope that if Vatavia
repeats something like this, others will try to make it.

Thanks for 'listening'.  Sorry, but I haven't been this excited about
anything in the SCA in a long time--it was one of those 'dream' moments.

Ismet