[Northkeep] Reveling

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed May 8 08:03:02 PDT 2002

Just a thought before we manage to overcomplicate this idea out of
existance.

Kevin and I were discussing this recently and several ideas came out of
this.  I've been reluctant to share them since I can't actually do a lot to
actually offer to do what I'm suggesting, and with Kevin off on Mars,
neither can he.  However, since it may be a little difficult (if not
impossible) to schedule a time for a revel (much less many revels) when many
people can manage to make it.

We might want to consider, especially for the little while it takes to get
people used to doing stuff together, aiming lower.  When we did large
numbers of regular revels, they were at people's houses, and while a few
people did it a lot, the location moved around so it wasn't the same people
hosting all the time.  They got together at least once a month - to just
have fun together.

Since obviously the problem is that you can't fit the entire group into a
single house and yard, perhapsd we should look a the fact that something
like only 20 people showed up to the last revel I went to as a benefit, not
a detriment.  For a while at least, we wouldn't need anything larger than a
house/yard.  Everyone brings stuff to drink and eat, and bang - social
event.  As long as everyone tried to make it when they could, but not to
stress over it if they couldn't, he numbers ought to (again, at least for a
little while) stay fairly low and people would rotate in and out.

The important part is that we get used to spending time together again - not
to set up the perfect local event.

I'll be honest, in doing that populace list thing, I'm a little hampered by
the fact that I know maybe a third of the people currently active in the
group (probably my fault).  I suspect that I'm not the only one who doesn't
know everyone.  Getting to know people takes time (at least it does for me).

Marc/Diarmaid