[Northkeep] An Open Letter to Our Baron

Zenobia Mira Vallis VivatTheDream at cox.net
Fri May 24 03:37:21 PDT 2002

Your Excellency,

I write this in the spirit of friendship and concern for my barony.  I have experienced some of the same loneliness, isolation, and rejection as Sioned, and I admire her courage and honesty.  I know it was very difficult for her to write about her experiences.  You and Mercedes and several other recent Northkeep friends (and one or two old-timers) have made me feel very welcome, and I appreciate that more than I can say.  Certainly, Northkeep is warmer than it was 14 years ago, when I joined the SCA.  But there is still much room for improvement, and I found myself wishing that more people would listen to your words of wisdom (in yesterday's post) with an open mind and heart.  I urge you to reinforce that message by responding on-list to Sioned's honestly-expressed concerns.  She is far from being alone in her perceptions of Northkeep.  Until we, as a community, recognize that there is a problem, how can we hope to make things better?

With the utmost warmth and respect,
Zenobia / Shirley