[Northkeep] Ban on Youth Rapier

Puck Curtis puck_curtis at hotmail.com
Thu May 30 07:48:40 PDT 2002

Greeting, Salutations and Felicitations,

  As many of you know, the SCA's Board of Directors (The BOD) will be
discussing youth rapier and considering ammending the rules to permit its
continued existense.  At this time, it would be helpful to write letters to
the BOD to inform them that we greatly favor youth combat.

  I'd like to keep the letters positive and it might be best to speak of the
happy young fighters.  We could mention that in the 3 years we've been
practicing youth rapier we have never had an injury.  (I prefer the phrase
'perfect safety record', but there are many other wonderful ways to say it.)

  We could mention that youths who study martial arts tend to be happier
adults, and better at conflict resolution.  They are more confident and
usually more successful.  We could mention that our children and adults take
great pride and pleasure at the accomplishment of our younger fighters.

  I'd like to encourage paper letters transmitted via snail mail.  These are
stored as official correspondence, while email will be deleted after being
read.  Here is the mailing address for the BOD:

The Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc.
P.O. Box 360789
Milpitas, CA 95036-0789

If you give a letter to Gabri or myself, we will make sure that it gets
there.

With kindest thoughts and regards,

Your humblest servant
Don Pachomius Oneshoe