Personality and Behavior (was RE: [Northkeep] Sir Balvins Defence)

Anthony Lackey catan at webzone.net
Fri May 31 20:31:47 PDT 2002

    It's easy to see that even a serious discussion of an issue about hurt
feelings can lead to...well, hurt feelings.
    As usual, I'm coming back to this one tardily, but I have a recommendation
for everyone who is truly interested in newcomer outreach/retaining shy
members/trying to be a nice human being:
    The cheapest, easiest and MOST EFFECTIVE way to do any or all of the above
is SMILE AND MAKE 2 SECONDS OF EYE CONTACT with everyone you pass.  If you're in
a hurry, just wear the smile and lightly pass with a nanosecond of eye contact.
If you're interested in making a bigger effort, SAY HELLO.  You don't even have
to break stride, much less stop.  Really, this has a much huger effect than it
sounds like. I am also a person who has trouble approaching people I don't know.

I was forced to get over that in a hurry when I became an apprentice.  I had to
keep it up after getting a Laurel because not being friendly-seeming gets the
result of A.
Peers must sure be stuck-up, B. Unintentionally intimidating people and
contributing to "peer fear" (yeah, really.) C. Missing out on opportunities to
teach and make things nice for other people, which is generally thought to be a
part of the job.  When I finally understood how amazingly effective a simple
smile could be, it's like, "everybody can do it!"
    Those that are thinking quite legitimately that we should not be enablers of
self-destructive, passive-aggressive behaviors are correct.  Those who say it is
our obligation to practice chivalry and courtesy are correct.  You can do both
by using this technique.  It's not falling down apologetically sobbing at a
person's feet, clutching their legs and begging them to stay.  It's not saying
good riddance, you manipulative jerk with an agenda.  It's just...a smile and
eye contact.
    I hope you'll all try it.  It really, really, works.

Catrin