[Northkeep] Titles - Was Re: Protectorate

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Mon Oct 14 10:50:41 PDT 2002

At 11:28 AM 10/14/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>At 01:54 AM 10/14/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>       When being Formal, Barn should be addresed as "Earl" as that is his
>>highest title.  In my earlier example when I said you might refer to "His
>>Execellency, Sir Barn" the "Execellency" is a reference to his Earldom.
>>
>>Robert
>
>That is what I thought, but isn't Excellency also used for Baron?
>
>Susan

Yes, Excellency is also appropriate.  Excellency is kind of a catch all
honorific that is used for Counts/ess, Baron/ess, Viscounts/ess, and
sometimes for Peers other than Knights.  So it would be correct to address
a Countess, Baroness, or Viscountess as "Your Excellency".
Traditionally the Formal Descriptive honorific is used only when announcing
someone, such as Baron Ainar or Countess Sara.  It is not usually used in
first person discussion.  As Robert pointed out you can mix the formal and
informal honorific to acknowledge people with multiple titles.  Such as
Count Sir Simon of Amber or His Excellency Master Artorius.  It can get
very silly when you try and announce all of a persons major titles and
honorifics at once, His Grace Master Sir Master Don Sigmund the Wingfooted.

Burke
who is a herald in a previous life.