[Northkeep] Archery Thursday?

Marc Carlson marccarlson20 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 25 08:26:14 PDT 2002

>From: "Mercedes/Stephanie" <steldr at cox.net>
>And how does one deal with poison ivy?  Is there anything we can put on >it
>to make it less healthy?  Or is it necessary to go out in long >sleeves and
>gloves and get rid of it?

One avoids it.

If you go in and chop it down, you can get the urishol oil (the poison in
the plants) all over you, your clothes, the ground, in the air, and it
doesn't break down any time soon.  And you have to get rid of the plants
you've pulled (Burning has apparently been known to dump the oil laden soot
all over the place - it doesn't take a lot of the poison to trigger a
reaction - as in drops)

From:
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/fastfacts.html
Urushiol Oil is Potent
    * Only 1 nanogram (billionth of a gram) needed to cause rash
    * Average is 100 nanograms for most people
    * 1/4 ounce of urushiol is all that is needed to cause a rash in every
person on earth
    * 500 people could itch from the amount covering the head of a pin
    * Specimens of urushiol several centuries old have found to cause
dermatitis in sensitive people.
    * 1 to 5 years is normal for urushiol oil to stay active on any surface
including dead plants

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/pivyp.htm
CONTROL:

Digging it up:

While Poison Ivy can usually be dug up when the soil is wet and there are
only a few plants. However, any attempt to remove roots from dry soil is
usually unsuccessful since some rhizomes most likely be left behind to
sprout.

Cutting it:

Repeated cutting to the ground will eventually starve-out the plant root
system. Cutting with a powered "weed-eater" is obviously not a great idea,
since it increases the likelihood of spraying the plant oil all over the
tool and the user!

Digging or cutting are not recommended for persons with a known sensitivity
to Poison Ivy.

Nuking It:

A number of herbicides are very effective in the control of poison ivy.
Check with your local home and garden center or area agricultural extension
office for more information regarding products available for home-use or
other use. The primary residential herbicides used to control Poison Ivy (at
the time I wrote this article) include Glyphosate, Amitrole, 2,4.D, and
Triclopyr.

Roundup or Kleenup (both are glyphosate) may be applied to the leaves of
Poison Ivy. It is absorbed through the leaves and carried throughout the
entire plant. Glyphosate has no soil activity. After spraying, do not try to
remove the plants for several days in order to allow the chemical to be
absorbed throughout the plant. Remember that dead Poison Ivy still contains
its poisonous oils. Avoid over-spraying as glyphosate will kill adjacent
plants, including grasses. Glyphosate may be listed on a label as
"isopropylamine salt of glyphosate".

Amitrol-T or Weedazol (Amitrole) may be applied, and works in the same
manner, as glyphosate (above), but remains active in the soil for several
weeks after application. This soil activity prevents the planting of new
vegetation in the treated location for several weeks. Do not use in soil
where food crops will be grown or in grazing-animal areas. Amitrole may be
listed on a label as 3-Amino-1,2,4-triazole.

Weed-B-Gon, Jet Weeder and other products containing 2,4-D are not the most
effective solutions for controlling Poison Ivy, but 2,4-D does not kill
grass. It may be mixed with 2-4-DP when used on larger "woody" Poison Ivy
plants for increased effectiveness. Repeated treatments will probably be
required as it usually will not kill the root system through a single
application. Apply at least 6-12 hours before watering or anticipated
rainfall. This active ingredient be listed on a label as Diethanolamine salt
of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (for 2,4-D) and Diethanolamine salt of
2,4-Dichlorophenoxypropionic acid (for 2,4-DP). Note: Some plants are VERY
sensitive to extremely small amounts of 2,4-D and 2,4-DP. If you must use
the sprayer for other uses, rinse it carefully several times with an ammonia
solution (including nozzle, hose, reservoir, etc.) to remove all trace
amounts of the chemical.

Garlon, Redeem, and Brush-B-Gon (Triclopyr) works in a similar manner to
2,4-D, but has a longer soil activity. Do not plant trees in treated soil
for a period of at least six months. It also does not affect grasses.

Crossbow (a mixture of 2,4-D and triclopyr). is one of several herbicide
"mixtures" that may control Poison Ivy. Read the labels carefully for the
effects of such mixtures, as well as for all herbicides applied around the
home.

Not all of the listed products may be available in your area or may not be
allowed for home-owner use without special licencing.

Products for non-residential control of Poison Ivy, such as along fence
lines as well as clear and timber areas, include Banvel, Velpar, 2,4-D
ester+2,4-Dp ester, Tordon, and Oust.